Tuesday, December 22, 2015

less than 15 days to Primary school

TIME FLIES!!!

In just less than 15 days, Renzo is going to kiss goodbye the childcare center he's been attending daily from 7am to 7pm (well to 5:30pm for his case), and enter the next stage of his life, Primary School!!

It's a bitter sweet moment to witness Renzo putting on his graduation gown and Mortar board cap, as I told him, this is the only time in life when he could put them on without working really hard, LOL. We do feel excited for him to move on to his official, compulsory education in school but, the preschool years are just too good and how we wish he could be surrounded with such great friends, teachers and environment all his life!!

Anyway so, how's Renzo's preparation for Primary School?

Well, looking at my checklist:
- School bus arrangement (nope I am not worried that he doesn't know his way home)

We've paid deposit on his orientation day, but the vendor has not contacted us so far to confirm timing. I would probably give them a call if I do not hear from them by the 28th.
- Lunchbox / Water bottle (nope I am not worried that he doesn't know how to feed himself well)
I am cutting myself some slack here as for the 1st week of school, we plan to let him buy his own food, as there will be buddy system arranged and another kid from upper primary is supposed to bring him around. So yes I still need to work on lunchbox ideas, and probably buying 1 more lunchbox as those we have at home, are either too big, or too small, or doesn't come with a divider inside. As for water bottle, he can use his current one but it's a little too kiddish, so let's buy another one for him following his form teacher's advice, small and light, as water coolers are everywhere in the school.
- Wallet (nope I am not worried that he doesn't know how to manage his finances)

He received one from his friend's birthday, it will work but it doesn't work the best. We can take our time to source for better one with a separate compartment for coins.
- Labeling (nope I am not worried that he doesn't know how take care of his own belongings)

Can I say this is the most annoying challenging thing to do, among all 101 Primary School Preparation Tasks we need to work on? I've lost count of ideas to label our kids' stationery, water bottle, bag, books, etc. Yes some parents really label every single pencil and eraser for their kids. Nope my parents didn't do that for me 30 years ago and I do not see why I need to do that for my kid now. We've only put name stickers on his books and wrapped with plastic covers. There are about 3 books with odd shapes and sizes so we still need another trip to Popular bookstore for some wraps. And I didn't make Renzo write his names since we have some leftover name stickers we bought when we were preparing him for childcare (gosh my eyes are tearing again talking about his wonderful preschool). Anyway, he knows how to write well and it's not an exam or a contest, so I don't find it a biggie even if I need to write for him. As for his stationery, I have no plan to label them one by one. Well, let's just say, anything that is "unlabelled" ones, belongs to Renzo!? Cool?!!

Wait a minute, what was my question again? Is Renzo school ready? Why am I showing you MY OWN checklist here?! But you see, I'm just trying to say, I don't have any worries though there are still a ton of things I need to sort out before the actual day comes.

So yes, Renzo can't be more ready for it!

I meant all he needs to do, is to be there and embrace the new environment. After his 4 years of preschool life, which requires him to wake up daily before 6:30am, get to school by 7am and spend a whole day there with his teachers and friends, having 2 meals, taking 1 shower and 1 afternoon nap, how can he not be ready?!

He's learned all the academic skills, social skills and survival skills he needs and of course I know Primary School life is going to be very different, I'm very certain he will do just fine. Because each time I think about something new he needs to face on his own, I realize the childcare has taught him enough skills to handle it independently. And most importantly, families lay the foundation for a feeling of security. The family is the base from which the child learns to face and cope with the anxieties of life. For that, I have absolute confidence as we've done all we can, and all we need to be his safe harbor.

Due to the year end holidays, Renzo has no more Piano and Global Art lessons till January 2016. So the last 2 weeks of December, are truly for him to enjoy at his childcare center. In fact, after his graduation concert on December 03, most of the kids in his class have stopped going to childcare. And by now there are less than 8 of them, out of the original 27, who still goes there daily. He asked us if he could stop school earlier like most of his friends, we explained to him that we would wish him to continue till the end, since he has already formed a great routine and it's definitely not the right time to break it. At the same time, he doesn't have any academic studies to work on now, instead, all he needs to do in school everyday, is to help teachers taking care of younger kids. Oh yes Renzo is "in charge" of the K1 class, he reports misconduct to teachers and in the afternoon, he also helps to bring younger ones from Nursery or Pre-nursery to the loo.

Looking at this most recent picture taken in school during Christmas celebration party, I'm amazed to realize, sitting at the back in a dark green top he picked for Christmas party, grabbing onto his toes, Renzo is like a grown up who's so comfortable and well blended into the culture there. Yes he's now one of the eldest in his preschool, ready to be one of the youngest in his new primary school, in another less than 15 days, how TIME FLIES!

0 thoughts on this article:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2009 ~ 2011 Watch Renzo Grow | Design : Noyod.Com | Edited by: Gamersaurus | Icons by: FastIcon.com