Monday, June 15, 2009

Having a peaceful mind..

The recent visit to Dr Lim on June 13th really set my mind at ease, because he said that there will be no more tests to do besides a pelvic/cervical check on week 37 (I suppose he needs to check for dilation?)
During the past few months, I read through a lot of articles and posts online about pregnancy and I was puzzled by quite a few things:

Gestational diabetes
2 of my colleagues got this symptom during pregnancy, and since all along I am on the more plump side, I was quite worried about this. I asked Dr Lim when is he going to test my glucose level? "We've done that test, let me show you.." He brought up the blood test result which I did during week 16 from that whole stack of my records. And there I saw the "blood sugar level" indicated as 81, and he said, "see, your test result is very normal, and we did not find any sugar in your urine so far, so not a problem!!". And based on my research, normal blood sugar level during pregnancy should be around 60-130 so I am definitely safe. Win is not surprised to hear that because he always thinks that I am having a very healthy diet, I've never been seduced by a slice of swiss roll or a spoonful of Haagen-Dazs ice cream so far.. Anyway, I am extremely happy, because some studies showed that women eating more chocolates during pregnancy have happier baby who shows less fear of new situations. Now I can enjoy 1 piece of my Ferrero Roche Chocolate every two days without feeling guilty (I bought a box of 30 pieces and finished 12 of them in 1.5 month)..

Water Retention
I started to have water retention around 4-5th month, but it was not really that serious. At least I am still able to wear my wedding ring and squeeze into my same pair of size 37 shoes so far. But for sure, I noticed that the mark left on my body (from my clothes after sleep) won't disappear in hours. I am already drinking about 2 litres of plain water at work everyday, and trying to have fish soup or Yong Tau Foo for lunch and dinner (since Dr Lim suggested me to eat less salty stuff, you know in Singapore that is almost impossible..), but it still doesn't help much especially after I sit or stand for too long. Good thing is Dr Lim commented that my situation is not too bad, if I want to see improvement, I can try to sleep on my left side with my legs lifted up.. Wow I tell you it worked like miracle!! I slept for about 6 hours and my water retention around my feet and ankle just disappeared completely!! But it doesn't sustain for long of course, so the conclusion is, the permanent cure for it is.. STAY IN BED.. Oh, come on, I am not Isabella Leong.. Oops..

Excessive weight gain
Needless to say, I was slightly overweight even before pregnancy, and having heard so much stories from friends and colleagues who gained almost 20kg during pregnancy, I am quite immune to it when Dr Lim said "I wish our economy also goes up like your weight.." =P.. Normal weight gain for women with BMI 20-26 should be around 11.5-16kg. At my 30th week, I've already gained 9.3kg despite that I only eat 3 normal meals without any snacks. So the best way for me to maintain a healthy weight gain is through exercising. This "Leisa Hart's FitMama" DVD set I bought from Amazon.com really works great. The prenatal workout includes a 20 minutes salsa dance, 25 minutes yoga fat burn, and 15 minutes body stretching. So I try to follow it at least 3-4 times a week (this is not easy man, and it is the only exercise that the more I do, the tougher it gets because my tummy is growing bigger and bigger everyday). But I think it really helps to build strength on my thigh muscles, and some tips on strengthening pelvic floor muscles and proper breathing during contractions must be really beneficial during labour.

Now the only thing left which still worries me a bit, is my relatively high blood pressure. It used to be around 120/80 during the first 2 trimesters but shoots up to 130+/80+ now at my last trimester. Should I eat more celery?

0 thoughts on this article:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2009 ~ 2011 Watch Renzo Grow | Design : Noyod.Com | Edited by: Gamersaurus | Icons by: FastIcon.com